Thursday, August 09, 2007

Half the Clothes and Twice the Money


Now this here story I'm about to unfold took place in the early '90s -- just about the time of our [first] conflict with Sad'm and the I-raqis. I only mention it because sometimes there's a man . . . I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? Sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here . . . (~~The Stranger in The Big Lebowski, 1998).

I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. (~~Meursault in Albert Camus' The Stranger, 1942).


"Bond Girl" Karin Dor in space age silver. When traveling, pack half the clothes and twice the money and -- if you can swing it -- something silvery like the moral equivalent of a pistol. Crash helmets extra unless riding a bike or a Vespa. You don't even need the actual money -- electronic access should suffice.

Today's Rune: Protection.

Birthdays: John Dryden, William B. Travis (The Alamo), Philip Larkin, Sam Elliott, Jonathan Kellerman, Melanie Griffith, Amy Stiller, Whitney Houston, Gillian Anderson, Rhona Mitra.


She got the gold, she got the silver: Michelle Yeoh, reprised.

Ciao, Chapel Hill!

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

In my opinion, "the Stranger" was the best thing about "The Big Lebowski." My fiance loved that movie. I wasn't a big fan.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Whoa! Makes me wanna go racing!

the walking man said...

Hero's never know they have become heroic until after they have done a heroic act usually with twice the fear and half the commons sense that would stop the rest of us.

But I would travel with Karin Dor if she took a quarter of the clothes and three times the money which would be heroic on my part because the I would become her bitch and my old lady's whipping boy when I got back home.

peace

mark

Sidney said...

I love "The Stranger's observation: "Now, `Dude' - there's a name no man would self-apply where I come from."

Thanks to wikiquote for helping me get it right.

The dude abides!