Tuesday, September 09, 2008

God Hates Fangs!


Saw episode one of Alan Ball's new HBO series True Blood. Season One is based on Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire Series, specifically (I'm pretty sure) the first novel in the series, Dead Until Dark (2001).

It's definitely not going to be for everyone, but I liked it.

The whole thing, as befits anything to do with vampires, is creepy and edgy. The main characters/actors, telepathic Louisiana waitress Sookie Stackhouse (Anna Paquin) and vampire Bill Compton (Stephen Moyer) are sympathetic, which is key to maintaining the viewer's (i.e. my) interest. Plus the story line is compelling, which also helps.

If you liked Ball's Six Feet Under (2001-2005) sensibilities, you'll probably like this, too. It would be nice if you also liked David Lynch efforts like Blue Velvet (1986) and Twin Peaks (1990-1991). Throw in the Coen brothers' Blood Simple (1984/1985) and perhaps Pulp Fiction (1994) and I think you'll be all set for what's coming.

Today's Rune: Protection.

4 comments:

the walking man said...

Erik...you know one of these days I am going to have to get HBO. I think I'll order indoor plumbing and electricity first though.

Sidney said...

Guess I'll catch this on DVD. We dropped HBO a while back figuring most things would eventually be on Netflix.

I taped Fringe last night and will watch that as I get a chance.

Charles Gramlich said...

I hate to say it, but man I'm really getting sick of vampires.

Synchronicity said...

I think I would like it as I did like those other shows.