Friday, March 20, 2009

Paul Harvey's Good Day


RIP, Paul Harvey / Aurandt (9/4/1918-2/28/2009), charismatic radio spokesman for the Inland States of America. Anyone who's ever heard him will probably never forget his vocal style and delivery, a combination of corn dog and preacher, story teller and carnival promoter. His words stick -- "The Rest of the Story," "Page Two," "Hello, Americans, I'm Paul Harvey" and best of all, ending his broadcasts with "Paul Harvey -- Good Day!"

Two other performers I can think of most like Paul Harvey: Conway Twitty and Walter Cronkite. Can't think of anyone else quite like them working the airwaves these days, not too mean, not too cutting, very Inland.


Today's Rune: The Self. Happy Spring!

7 comments:

ZZZZZZZ said...

Erik my dear friend! How have you been! It's been far too long...

Joe said...

Paul Harvey...I had never thought of him in the same breath as Conway Twitty before. Cool.

Sidney said...

Listened to Paul Harvey when I was a little kid. He was amazing in his staying power.

JR's Thumbprints said...

I'd take Paul Harvey over Walter Cronkite any day. He had a better delivery.

Charles Gramlich said...

I never thought of it but cronkite and harvey did have something kind of similar about them. And maybe Howard cosell?

Lana Gramlich said...

Unfortunately I have a bunch of friends who take the "Coast to Coast" show Harvey started a bit too literally.
(Tried to post comments here last night, but your blog wouldn't let me.)

DetroitGirl said...

Good to see you are still out there writing!