Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Presidio and Drive-In: Traces


I. Near the line of San Antonio's Spanish missions, I noticed a drive-in theatre called Mission IV. A little research indicates the Mission Drive-In Theatre was built in 1948, was expanded and called Mission Twin a decade later, and, as a four-screen drive-in, closed in 2007. But it's still there, at least for now -- I saw it with my own eyes just as surely as I saw the nearby Spanish missions.

Does anyone in the blogosphere see movies at drive-ins? Last time for me must have been more than two decades ago.


II. Dig the Spanish style. This is a courtyard behind the Spanish governor's palace in Old San Antonio. On the other side is Military Square, site of the Presidio of San Antonio de Béxar, and beyond that, the Cathedral of San Fernando. The whole interconnecting Presidio-Mission system is way interesting to ponder. The Presidio held about a company of soldiers, with small detachments sent to the Missions to train Indians who lived in them as a sort of defensive militia, in case of attacks or raids. The system was held together by connecting river and road.

Today's Rune: Protection.

7 comments:

Adorably Dead said...

I've never been to a drive in. But we have a Bengie's here that I've always wanted to go to. However ours might be closing because the Royal Farms in back of it's logo keeps showing up through the screen and the store's not cooperating with the drive in. It really sucks because there aren't many around anymore and I've always wanted to go to one.

the walking man said...

Last drive in I remember was the Ford-Wyoming in Dearborn...I think it has been, like you, twenty years since I have been that way.

Lana Gramlich said...

There's a drive-in still operating in the Niagara Region (in Canada.) A tornado hit it during a showing of "Twister" years ago, actually. I took Charles there when he came to visit once.

Anonymous said...

DRIVE IN MOVIES WERE GREAT, A PLACE TO MAKE OUT WHEN ONE WAS YOUNG AND A PLACE TO BRING ALL THE FAMILY WHEN WED. YOU COULD BRING YOUR OWN FOOD AND DRINKS AND IT WAS AN INEXPENSIVE WAY TO BE ENTERTAINED.

Charles Gramlich said...

I went to my very first drive in in Canada with Lana. I don't remember much about the movies.

jodi said...

OMG Eric, you reminded me of something that I completely forgot. Drive- in! Am gonna post on that! Thanks, Buddy!

t said...

Your San Antonio series is a seriously awesome set of blog posts. I didn't warm to Texas (Houston) when I visited briefly. It's all too big and roomy and concrete. But San Antonio must be charming.
One of my recent reads, Republic, is about the history of Texas, its first governors, I think, Indian-British love story, Mexican politics, it was fun to read. I followed that with Empire - Gore Vidal - about America's earlier days, Hearst's ambition, Thee-uh-dore, chics like the Astors, blah blah blah. I had to stop myself from buying another one-word-title tome on Empire (I forget the word now).