Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Black and Blue


It's funny the memorabilia one keeps. Aside from books, notebooks, letters, photographs and miscellaneous papers, I haven't kept much in the grand scheme of things. But I still have some music patches from London (early 1980s) and sports and Scout patches from Minnesota and North Carolina (late 1960s and 1970s).

The above patches make me think of my perennial fondness for the National Football League's old Central NFC Division, the "Black & Blue Division," now known as the NFC North: Minnesota Vikings, Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions. I've remained interested -- though hardly fanatical -- since the 1960s, when we (the nuclear family unit) lived in Chicago and St. Paul. Back in the days of Vince Lombardi and Bart Starr, Joe Kapp and the Purple People Eaters, and announcers Ray Scott, Pat Summerall and Jack Kemp.

This year, glad to see the Vikings have gotten off to a good start with Brett Favre. And successors to the Purple People Eaters are the Four Norsemen of the Apocalypse. But the Vikings have been heart breakers over the years, having lost no fewer than four Super Bowls by 1977. The Lions, well, they've had Thanksgiving to showcase their glory . . . On the other hand, the Packers won the proto-Super Bowl championship in 1966/1967 and 1967/1968 and Superbowl XXXI in 1997 (1996 season); the Bears won Super Bowl XX in 1986 (1985 season). The Black & Blue is due another win . . . but they have to earn it.

Other teams I've stuck with over the years include: New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Pittsburgh Steelers.

How about you? Are there any pro sports teams you like? Or do you think it's all a corporate joke? My interest peaked in high school, when I was a guard and linebacker. Now it's a light but fun diversion.

Today's Rune: Partnership.

7 comments:

jodi said...

Erik, you probably can guess that I follow all Detroit teams. I have a few Wings and Tigers things that I can't seem to part with!

Evan said...

I've got to say, I still have a soft spot for the Redskins after all these years because my dad was always a fan while I was growing up. He later switched his fotball allegiance to the Panthers after North Carolina got a team, but I was living in Washington by then.

It's still fun to watch a game sometimes, but the older I get, the less interest I have in any sport that I don't do myself.

the walking man said...

I never thought of sports as a corporate inspired joke, that mess just never was able to hold my attention for more than ten minutes, *shrug*.

Charles Gramlich said...

I like a lot of the same teams. Chicago, Pittsburgh, Green Bay. Never been a big fan of New York teams and I really don't like Dallas. Saints of course are my number one, but I also like the Panthers and the Raiders a lot. wish the raiders would get something good going.

Erik Donald France said...

Thanks all for the comments!

Yeah, Go D!

Ev, when I was a kid, I liked the Redskins; but came to dislike them almost as much as the Cowboys.

Go Panthers, too!

Charles, pretty much the same (except the Giants) -- always liked the Saints, and always disliked the Cowboys. I did like the Raiders, too.

Lana Gramlich said...

I just wish Favre would go away, personally. I don't support pro sports anymore--it's all just a distraction from real issues, y'know? Besides, there are MUCH better ways to spend that kind of money. Don't even get me started on Michael @#$%ing Vick!

Anonymous said...

徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計公司 , 網頁設計公司 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO


SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 廣告設計 , 廣告設計 , 廣告設計 , 廣告設計