Thursday, September 17, 2009

Jimmy Carter Weighs In . . .


Former US President Jimmy Carter, now eighty-four, stated recently, during an NBC interview and at Emory University last night, that many anti-Obama attacks and attitudes have a racist tinge.

"I think people who are guilty of that kind of personal attack against Obama have been influenced to a major degree by a belief that he should not be president because he happens to be African-American." (At Emory)

"An overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity toward President Obama is based on the fact that he is a black man." (On NBC)


I have no doubt that Carter's views have validity -- it's just a question of pervasiveness. How valid, and to what extent?

I'll give my own take more specifically on contemporary American right wing ideology soon, after weighing input from some long-time friends who've pretty much seen it all.

Today's Rune: Journey.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Mr. Carter. Thanks for the read Eric. MW

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm sure Carter is right in some cases, but our last few presidents have also been mauled pretty badly and all of them were white. these days, some folks love to hate on the president, any president, for every little thing. I don't get it personally. Criticize the policies, not the person.

Lana Gramlich said...

I'm sure there's some racism involved. There's also a HECK of a lot of ignorance. I'm sick & tired of getting bogus e-mail fwds from local Christianist/Conservatives who don't even bother to investigate what they're fwding in the least little bit. SOOOO sick & tired.

Mark Krone said...

I want to underscore what Lana said. If the right wing says Obama is appointing death panels (utter nonsense) we must insist they furnish proof. Truth itself is under assault.

Erik Donald France said...

Thanks all for the comments --
Merci, MW. Mark/WM, I agree. wouldn't it be nice if . . . Charles, Lana, Mark -- all good points. Thanks again.