Friday, February 05, 2010

Greensboro: The Who, 1980















The Who at Greensboro were LOUD. Knowing their reputation for HIGH VOLUME going in, I brought ear plugs and am still glad I did. They played on all cylinders -- at the top of their post-Keith Moon game. Kenney Jones was the drummer. John Entwistle has since died (in 2002), so the only original Who members left to play the Super Bowl on Sunday will be Roger Daltry and Pete Townshend. I'll be curious to see how they do. In any case, the Greensboro show was only about seven months after the Cincinnati Riverfront Coliseum show during which eleven fans were trampled to death. I kept my eyes on the crowd as well as the band.











The Greensboro Coliseum show of July 13, 1980 ($12.00 "PLUS $.25 OUTLET HANDLING CHARGE"), is or has been available in bootleg audio form.  Billy Squier opened and was also loud, keynoting his Tale of the Tape (1980) album. 

The Who played:

Substitute
I Can't Explain
Baba O'Riley
My Wife
Sister Disco
Behind Blue Eyes
Music Must Change
Drowned
Who Are You
5.15 (one of the coolest of the set)
Pinball Wizard
See Me Feel Me
Long Live Rock (also one of the coolest)
My Generation
I Can See For Miles
Naked Eye
Won't Get Fooled Again
Encore:
Relay
The Real Me

Good luck to the survivors and newer members -- and to the Saints -- at the Super Bowl.  And for God's sake, please avoid wardrobe malfunctions . . .

Today's Rune: Fertility.

2 comments:

the walking man said...

Like 'em as the best of the hard R&R bands, always have. Townsend and Daltry are enough to get the new guys on the same page.

Johnny Yen said...

Great set list. I used to silently sing 5:15 when I rode the el home from my downtown job back when I worked downtown-- "Out of my brain on the train..."
I think Quadrephenia has aged well-- better than Tommy in my opinion.

Have to say I was pleasantly surprised by their performance at the Superbowl. They can still rock it out!