Thursday, February 04, 2010

The Night of the Hunter















Charles Laughton's The Night of the Hunter (1955) is such a cool movie. Made in collaboration with James Agee (1909-1955), who wrote the original screenplay, this is a masterpiece in black and white. Stars Robert Mitchum as a truly weird and sinister "preacher," Shelley Winters, Lillian Gish, Evelyn Varden (also great in The Bad Seed, 1956), a young Peter Graves (briefly), James Gleason and effective kid actors -- all superb.

The Night of the Hunter works so well in so many ways, what's not to love?  My only advice is: stick with it all the way through, without interruption.  Truly, if you abide, it's worth the time.



Today's Rune: Strength.

5 comments:

the walking man said...

Erik you've been staying up late an watching TMC haven't you?

Charles Gramlich said...

I've not seen it but you make it sound worthwhile. I'll have to keep an eye open.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Scares me to death.

Lana Gramlich said...

I'll have to keep an eye out for it on DirecTV...or we might have it through our library. Thanks for the tip.

Johnny Yen said...

A friend of mine got my the dvd for Night of the Hunter, and various friends have talked it up-- I'm almost nervous now to see it-- that it won't meet the hype.

Today when my son and I were taking our long driving lesson (in the form of a road trip to Eastern Illinois University, in Charleston, Illinois) we heard the Clash' "Death or Glory" on Little Steven's Underground Garage, with its reference to Night of the Hunter: "Love and Hate tattooed across the knuckles of his hand/Hands that slap his kids around 'cause they don't understand how"