Friday, March 05, 2010

The Rolling Stones: Mona













I love The Rolling Stones. They were one of the first bands I became coherently aware of growing up.  

Few (that I know of) seem to have publicly or widely noted the unique qualities of Mick Jagger's voice -- a trademark of all the great blues singers and, indeed, of all great singers. And he is one of the world's great singers alive today.

"Mona" comes from the original 1964 UK album release of The Rolling Stones (1964). It's a Bo Diddley cover, which many "old school" aficionados would get immediately upon hearing.



Today's Rune: Wholeness.

2 comments:

Middle Ditch said...

Yep, they are still going pretty strong and good for them I say.

Johnny Yen said...

Little Steven's Underground Garage plays the Stones' version of Mona frequently. I also like Tex-Zydeco guys The Iguanas' version of it as well.

Thanks to the Underground Garage, I've been discovering a lot of early Stones I overlooked in my callow youth. "Flowers," "Between the Buttons," "Aftermath," all sound really good lately.