Thursday, March 04, 2010

Higher Grounds: A Time for Coffee













I developed a taste for coffee when I was about seventeen, and have enjoyed it every single day since then (considerably more than half a lifetime already). Kind of crazy, but true. During work days, I tend to drink a lot between early morning until about seven in the evening. Besides water, that's all I drink most days. At night, I sometimes enjoy a "real" drink, in addition. Or two, etc. Especially on weekends!

Who else has checked out the Coffee Party Movement? I think it's a great alternative to the Loony Tea Party Movement, and membership has jumped from 4,000 or so to over 80,000 in the past week!  Similarly to its ideals of civic engagement, I propose that all civic-minded Americans download or order an official portrait of President Obama for their office or work space (if you have one). More on that soon.

Meanwhile, if you'd like to know more about the history of coffee, check out Wikipedia or Uncommon Grounds: The History Of Coffee And How It Transformed Our World by Mark Perndergrast (2000). Its history, like the history of tea and sugar, is really really interesting, with all sorts of legacies and side effects.  British Empire = Tea + Sugar. France, Spain, Italy, USA = Coffee.

Today's Rune: Partnership.  

4 comments:

the walking man said...

Ahh coffee I hope will never disagree with me.

Charles Gramlich said...

My mom was a huge coffee drinker when she was young, but for some reason I never developed a taste for it. I probably never drink more than four or five cups a year.

jodi said...

Erik, the smell of coffee is the best part of my morning. I had to get a coffee pot with the feature i call "snatch a cup", because I can never wait for the whole pot to be done!

Lana Gramlich said...

My coworkers are coffee drinkers. I was more of a coffee drinker when I lived in Canada (& warming the insides really MEANT something.)