Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Sitting Pretty in Buenos Aires













I totally get why Governor Mark Sanford prefers the charms of Argentina to the swamps of South Carolina. Sometimes it's nice to get away from it all -- even if only in the imagination.

Picked up this nicely crafted and amply illustrated little gem just for pleasure. Ever since my Aunt Denise did a student gig there in the 1960s, I've contemplated Argentina. Some day, I'll go there and check it out for myself. A logical spot for repose would be Buenos Aires. One way to whet the appetite for that capital city is to read through The Authentic Bars, Cafés and Restaurants of Buenos Aires by Gabriela Kogan (2007). In an urbanized area with some thirteen million people in it, Kogan samples seventy cool gathering places, a lot of them going back a ways. Will probably do a follow up post on some of them when I read all the text.

Is there anywhere you'd love to go, given a generous travel stipend and the time to do it? 

Today's Rune: Joy.   Happy 25th to Linda and Roy!

4 comments:

the walking man said...

Generous travel stipend and sufficient time...I think I'd like to see the rest of North America.

Charles Gramlich said...

Even the name speaks of the exotic to me. Just don't end up like Butch and Sundance when you go.

Anonymous said...

ONE OF MY CLASSMATES SONS MARRIED A GIRL FROM ARGENTINA. THEIR TWO CHILDREN SPEAK FLUENT AMERICAN ENGISH AND SPANISH.

jodi said...

Erik, I would go back to Costa Rica in a hot second. I would'nt mind retiring there....