Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Serpentarius
























It's "a little" mind-blowing when you come upon a new word or idea, isn't it? Take astrology. It's hard enough to keep straight the order and supposed attributes of the twelve most accepted astrological/zodiac signs, even to keep up with casual conversation among those who are into it. My friend Evan has always maintained that though it would seem to make no sense, especially the terminology, nonetheless there is a connective truth to "reading the stars." We're talking the full chart, Sun Sign, Moon Sign, Ascendant, all of it to a mathematical equation. Born under certain stars. In any case, imagine discovering a "new" sign, one called Ophiuchus or Serpentarius. Even more so, discovering that it is precisely my sign, in addition to Sagittarius. Holy shit!

When I was a little kid, the difference between "states" and "countries" became clearer through adult mentorship and books and maps, I suppose, but for some reason until a little older I still tagged Connecticut as a separate country, rather than a different state in the USA. Even now, a map comes in handy to see how states and countries fit into mental maps of the world. Many -- maybe even most people -- seem to have no idea how the puzzles of geography fit, even on symbolic maps. For me it has "always" been like this, despite intense study through the years.

Also as a kid, I took a train ride to Horseheads, New York, for what reason I had no idea "at the time." But what struck me as most strange then was not the train ride, which I loved, but the destination's name. Only in adulthood did I come across its Iroquois origin, dating back to wartime (the American Revolution).

So "anyway" it "turns out" I was born under the signs of Serpentarius, Ophiuchus and Sagittarius, and I am left-handed -- the bend sinister. Same date (but under different status quo calendars) as John Milton (Paradise Lost, Paradise Regained) and Red Foxx (whose "real" family name was -- Sanford). Among others. As a kid, I also dug Milton Berle, Batman, the Green Hornet and James Bond. Go figure. How about you?

Above image: Louis Malle's My Dinner with Andre (1981), written and "starring" André Gregory and Wallace Shawn.

Today's Rune: The Mystery Rune.

4 comments:

Adorably Dead said...

That's neat. I kind of keep up with astrology and such. All I really know about myself is that I'm Saggitarius and I think my sun symbol might be Scorpio? *shrugs*

the walking man said...

So what you are saying is that at certain times you only exist on specific planes and that when you wrote this you were here and not in one of the parallel universes? And that you are not sinister but bed to the opposite direction. How is it in the simply bent universe?

jodi said...

Erik, Cool stuff. All I know is that I am a Cancerian--thru and thru! And have my 'moon phase', but we won't go there!

Charles Gramlich said...

I never gave much thought to Astrology, but I have to admit that Lana and I are perfect for each other and are born one day apart in October.