Sunday, February 20, 2011

Erik's Choice: Five Years in the Lifeworld



















"We've got five years, what a surprise. . ." -- David Bowie (1971/1972).

When I began this blog -- inspired primarily by former co-worker Trent Vanegas -- I had no five year plan, and certainly would have been surprised to know then that I'd still be posting daily five years down the road.

Thanks to everyone who reads this (or reads anything) regularly, comments when they can, or checks in sporadically -- it's all appreciated.  We lived through chaotic times in 2006 and we are living through even more chaotic times in 2011. Like it or not, here we are still in the lifeworld and things keep shifting and somehow, I keep enjoying life to bits.

RIP to the many gone down in the past five years, especially those truly missed. A special shout out also to Bob Sheldon, another true inspiration, who died twenty years ago tomorrow in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, at the very beginning of the ground phase of the (First) Gulf War.   

To the living and the dead, keep on keeping on and see you when I see you . . . Cheers!













Jumble sales are organized and pamphlets have been posted
Even after closing time there's still parties to be hosted
You can be active with the activists
Or sleeping with the sleepers
While you're waiting for the Great Leap Forwards
One leap forwards, two leaps back
Will politics get me the sack?
Well, here comes the future and you can't run from it
If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it
Well, it's a mighty long way down rock 'n roll
From Top of the Pops to drawing the dole
If no one out there understands
You start your own revolution and cut out the middleman
In a perfect world we'd all sing in tune
But this is reality so give me some room
So join the struggle while you may
The Revolution is just a t-shirt away


-- From Billy Bragg's "Waiting for the Great Leap Forward" (1988).



Today's Rune: Partnership.

8 comments:

Nina K. Orlovskaya said...

“keep on keeping on” I hope to say the same words five years from now… congrats…

JR's Thumbprints said...

Daily posts for five years, you know I'm damn envious. Perhaps I need a new platform. Cheers!

Adorably Dead said...

I love your blog, in almost every post I learn something new or learn of an old musician or artist, book, video I should have seen ages ago and have something to put on my todo list. :p You rock.

Charles Gramlich said...

I was reading last night about the world of 2050. Sounds like that will be REALLY interesting times.

Erik Donald France said...

Thank you all a bunch -- I really appreciate it!

Lana Gramlich said...

Congratulations & keep up the good work, hon! Sorry my visits have been sporadic lately. Not only have I been fairly busy, but Google Reader's been giving me problems. :(

jodi said...

Erik-5 years of rockin' info! I have been reading your goodies for the almost 4? years I've been doing my thang. And I've loved every minute of it. You have the most cool way with words and make me smile with your supportive comments. It's my wish that we can meet sometime--Stacey said that I would really like you. Keep on keepin' on, Babe!

Johnny Yen said...

I've been reading your blog from when it was less than a year old, and I've always enjoyed it.

I hope that someday your friend Bob Sheldon's murder gets solved. As you know, I had a similar experience, and it did help when the culprit was caught.

Love that Billy Bragg album-- "Mother of the Bride" carries special meaning to me.