Monday, February 21, 2011

It Might Get Loud



















Anyone who really digs the sound and possibilities of the electric guitar would probably like to check out Davis Guggenheim's It Might Get Loud (2009), featuring Jimmy Page, Jack White and The Edge (of U2). This low-key documentary weaves together three cycles of music, three lives, three talented dudes obsessed with playing guitar and how they came to be that way.

Aside from the great fun of seeing Jimmy Page in full "peacock" regalia in the latter-day 1960s via Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin, most of what I found compelling was about Jack White. First, he pretty much says flat out that The White Stripes were inspired by Dexter (guitar) and Sara Romweber (drums), brother and sister who both play together and have also played in other combinations (Flat Duo Jets for Dexter, Let's Active, Snatches of Pink for Sara). This was particularly exciting because they used to play in various North Carolina venues in the 80s, and I'd seen them in their various lineups. It's true, Dexter Romweber was always frenetic and crazy, just like Jack White would become, and Sara Romweber had the same joyous bouncy drumming style Meg White would sport. Even at a young age (he must have been in his late teens), Dexter played Durham and Chapel Hill with what seemed like snake-handler intensity, complete with Saint Vitus' Dance. Today, though The White Stripes have just disbanded, the Romweber siblings are touring together as The Dex Romweber Duo; their album Ruins of Berlin was released in  2009.   

I also liked Jack White's discussion of the intensity of the blues, and his love of Son House. He specifically cites "Grinnin' in Your Face" as his favorite song -- the raw power of which he strives to emulate.

"There's one thing to bear in mind
A true friend is hard to find
Don't you mind people grinning in your face . . ."

(Son House, 1965)

Today's Rune: Flow.

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

that does sound interesting. I'll want to see this. As I posted on my blog today I bought a few music books yesterday myself. Looking forward to reading my book on Dave Mustaine, another guitarist of note.

Bob Ignizio said...

I liked this one a lot, even though I'm not much of a Zeppelin or U2 fan. That said, both The Edge and Jimi Page are great guitar players. In the context of this film I was able to appreciate that a little more without my dislike for their bands getting in the way. Jack White can apparently do no wrong by me, as I like all three of his bands. This film only increased my appreciation for his work. I still think the coolest thing in the movie is the opening scene where he makes a guitar out of a piece of wood and a few spare parts.

Erik Donald France said...

Thanks for the comments! Much appreciated! Charles -- cool; Bob -- agreed on JW, though I've always been a big Zeppelin fan. U2 reached their high point for me in 1983 when I saw the opening show for the War tour in Chapel Hill. That was pretty amazing; the rest of U2's arc, by comparison, a snooze.

jodi said...

Erik, I like all three of those musicians and will watch for the docu! In high school we LOVED LZ and did a crazy air guitar to "Black Dog"!