Saturday, February 05, 2011

Interzone: Lost and Found in the Cosmos



















Now might be a good time to round up a copy of Walker Percy's Lost In The Cosmos: The Last Self-Help Book (1983). I used to have one, but gave it away to someone who wanted a crash course in Existentialism. I barely remember the details, though I do recall enjoying its contents more than any particular Percy novel. One thing that stuck was how people -- we humans -- can't help but be mesmerized by disasters and epic events, especially if they are far away. There but for the Grace of God go I.  When you're in the middle of such things, on the other hand, you have to deal with them directly and immediatetely. By the Grace of God or by simple twist of fate, here I am and how do I get outta here as fast as possible? I swear I'll be good!

Also, happy birthday to William S. Burroughs (1914-1997);  a new documentary is in the pipeline (William S. Burroughs: A Man Within, 2010). And finally, RIP to Reynolds Price (2/1/1933-1/20/2011), who died in Durham, North Carolina.  He was a favorite of my high school "Southern Writers" English teacher, Mrs. Vick, who dared not utter the name of Union General William Tecumseh Sherman (she was originally from Mississippi and was also a big Faulkner and Shelby Foote fan; we read Walker Percy's 1961 novel The Moviegoer in her class). She cracked me up every time. 

Today's Rune: Breakthrough.  

2 comments:

the walking man said...

It is slightly easier to exist outside of someone elses trouble. Not much but slightly.

jodi said...

Erik, I will be catching the Burroghs thing for sure. Thanks for the heads up and Happy Super Bowl!