Sunday, February 06, 2011

Just the Night for a Conquering Tribe: Super Bowl Sunday, 2011













Getting in touch with my inner barbarian, my limbic system is lighting up already . . . This is one of those rare sporting events where I like both tribes about equally even though with the exception of Pittsburgh I usually go for the NFC team. All we need are some big scores from the Packers and Steelers both and I'll be happy. 

The Packers led by Bart Starr won Super Bowl I in 1967 and the Steelers beat the Dallas Cowboys bespangled with Bicentennial patches in Super Bowl X.  And all those other championship victories. Laissez les bons temps rouler . . .




















Though lucrative in the short run, professional sports are not particularly kind to the participants. A longitudinal study might indicate a lot of health problems for these kinds of pseudo-ersatz-gladiatorial athletes. I remember seeing Cowboys QB Roger Staubach, now 69, up close and noticed his hands, mangled from wear and tear. Boxers and football players take a lot of punishment over the years.













But it's grand theatre, and otherwise rational folks can go crazy for a while like English friends on holiday. Or at a football match. Except for the sacking and burning of the loser's city, it's the Trojan War all over again!

Today's Rune:  Breakthrough.

1 comment:

the walking man said...

I am happy to report that I have successfully slept through 45 consecutive super bowls and whatever they were called before that and have never seen a first run commercial during said sleep.