Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Son House: The Music, Part II













Keep your ears on the tracks, the Son House train is comin' in again (continued):

From "Levee Camp Moan" (long version, 1965), which brings together elements from Son House's earlier renditions (1941-1942 sessions) of "Levee Camp Blues" and "Government Fleet Blues" -- you can hear that immediately, simply by playing them one after the other. 

You know I had a job on the levee
I had a good looking woman who lived in Hughes . . .
You know that pretty little thing

She kept me with the government fleet blues

You know on every pay day
She'd be standing around the landing crying . . .
She be saying why don't that big boat hurry and
Bring home that man of mine?
. . . But when I done not get the check
She told me she couldn't use me no more . . .

From "John the Revelator" (1965 versions):

Tell me who's that writin'?
John the Revelator . . . 
Who's that writin'?
John the Revelator wrote the book of the Seven Seals

Now God walked down in the cool of the day
And called Adam by his name
But he refused to answer
'Cause he was naked and ashamed . . .

Imagining the emphatic accompanying slide guitar, a snippet from "Death Letter Blues:"

I got a letter this morning . . .
'The gal you love is dead' . . .
'Hurry, hurry, the gal you love is dead.'
I grabbed up my suitcase
Took off down the road.
When I got there
She's laying on the coolin' board . . .

Gives me the chills every time. We're most definitely not in Kansas anymore with Son House.  

Today's Rune: Harvest.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm reading just now about the things that men and women find attractive in each other. Money be one of those things.