Thursday, December 29, 2011

Sam Peckinpah: Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia



















A lot of foreboding, death leaping out of the shadows, tragic existentialism and the excitement of long-shot possibilities on the road: that's some of what comes to mind watching Sam Peckinpah's Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974). If you're thinking of a Mexican vacation, best to skip this one until after your return -- it's visceral, unpredictable and wild, just like the Mexico of my memories surrounding the events witnessed while visiting my grandmother, great uncle, uncle and cousin in the late 1970s.

Let me add that Warren Oates and Isela Vega are great. Somehow I'm reminded of Deadwood, Taxi Driver, Once Upon a Time in the West, Bonnie & Clyde and God knows what else.

Today's Rune: The Mystery Rune.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

I've heard of this one, never read anything about it. Sounds like something I'd like.