Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Rolling Stones: Some Girls





















Some Girls (1978) was the first new Rolling Stones release I really remember diving into headlong. The deluxe 2011 re-release contains the original album on one disc and a bunch of bonus tracks on another. More on the latter soon. The album itself is a wry and ribald masterpiece, a shorter, driving sequel to the Exile on Main St. double album (1972), with a comparable exploration of musical styles, including then-current ones. Though recorded in Paris, this is most definitely a New York City album. Love it -- sounds quite rough and rowdy, even more ideal for 2012 than it was for 1978. 

Today's Rune: Breakthrough. 

4 comments:

Adorably Dead said...

I swear I love pretty much everything they've done. Interesting artwork ;p lol.

Charles Gramlich said...

I actually don't have this album, although I've heard it all at various times. I liked this cover when it came out.

the walking man said...

*shrug* Time for you kids to leave the 60's and 70's behind.

jodi said...

Erik, I have never seen this album artwork and I LOVE it! Very cool.