Sunday, April 29, 2018

Maya Lin: 'Boundaries' (2000), Part II

Maya Lin, Boundaries. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2000.

I admire the people who've discovered ways to circumvent narrow-mindedness, silos, and local-turf-thinking. Maya Lin is one of those people. 

Maya Lin: "For years the art world saw me as an architect and architects often referred to me as an artist. One professor actually told me I had to make a choice between art and architecture. My fear was that I would become schizophrenic and that my work as a whole would be disjointed and confused . . . the best advice I was given was from Frank Gehry . . . who said I shouldn't worry about the distinctions and just make the work." (4:45)

A tilt toward the mystical, yet practical: "I do not think that we can fully understand how one makes a specific mark upon a page -- at some point one has to trust one's eye, one's intuition, I do not think that that implies a lack of rational thought. I just think that one cannot understand why one makes a specific move, that the creative act is a combination of conscious and subconscious thoughts that cannot or should not be deciphered." (3:09) 

Maya Lin on writing: "I think writing is the purest of art forms. When your thoughts and intentions are conveyed as directly as possible to another person. Words can be the most direct means of sharing your thoughts." (2:05) 

Today's Rune: Defense. 

No comments: