Tuesday, October 24, 2006

David Lynch: Twin Peaks

David Lynch's INLAND EMPIRE will hit the big screen in November, 2006. Between that and receiving copy number 57 of the first edition of A Slice of Cherry Pie (September 2006), "the first volume in a series of chapbook anthologies inspired by the work of director David Lynch, to be edited by Ivy Alvarez," I can't help but remember Twin Peaks, the stylishly spooky and sardonic TV series that originally aired in 1990 and 1991 and was followed by Fire Walk With Me (1992), the even creepier movie version. I haven't seen any of it since I moved from Philadelphia in 1995, but images and dialogue resurface intermittently like recurring dream sequences.

After anxiously waiting from week to week during the two years when Twin Peaks ran, I watched the whole thing one weekend, something I'd recommend to any fan for the sense of continuity and discontinuity. I remember seeing the pilot afterwards, before Agent Cooper was fully developed and honed with his slice of cherry pie and talk of Tibet. I also remember Season One as being far more compelling then Season Two.


Twin Peaks was one of the best shows in the history of television before 2000, without doubt.


Writing this post brings to mind one more thing: the chill of seeing the grave of a Laura Palmer in Philadelphia, in an urban cemetery right next to a diner near Manayunk, after a damn fine cup of coffee.


Today's Rune: The Blank Rune.


Hasta La Vista!

4 comments:

ZZZZZZZ said...

hmm yes, I've heard of this so called Twin Peaks. I have never seen it though. I was only 6 though so I'm pretty sure my mom wouldn't let me watch it anyway. haha

Laura said...

I never watched Twin Peaks. And your right Sheila, I probably wouldn't have let you watch it. haha.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Of course, the name Laura Palmer must surely be coincidental.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Erik! I didn't know this was out on dvd. I'll definitely have to rent it.