Monday, September 01, 2008

Blimey, That's What the Vietnamese Said!


Martin McDonagh's In Bruges (2008) is not for everyone, but I liked it a lot. Quick and dirty take: an Irish-tinged Pulp Fiction (i.e. there is violence and blood mixed with mordant humor) set in Belgium. Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Ralph Fiennes, Jordan Prentice, Clémence Poésy and other supporting actors -- all superb. The witty dialogue (written by McDonagh, London-born Irish playwright and filmmaker) and compelling individual character studies, set against the beauty and mystery of the small, ancient Flemish city of Bruges, make this a pleasure. Listen carefully or turn up the volume if necessary -- every quietly measured line is worth hearing.

Today's Rune: Partnership.

2 comments:

the walking man said...

Uhhhh ok Erik you got me again with another movie I've never heard of.

Sidney said...

I keep meaning to rent that. I'd heard it was good, and it looks like something I'd like.