Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Simply Brilliant: An Education










Having intended to see The Runaways last night, as it turned out I saw Lone Scherfig's An Education (2009) instead. Based on an article (subsequently a full-length memoir) by Lynn Barber and adapted for the screen by Nick Horby (High Fidelity, et alia), it's simply brilliant (as the English say).   The entire cast is wonderful and the entire soundtrack pure delight.  I give this one an A+ and five stars.  Note: an independent film with a relatively small budget, employed very efficiently.













It'll be interesting to compare the full memoir with the short version.














I should mention that An Education is set in 1961 England.  Also, it's won a bunch of awards, including a BAFTA (British Academy Film Award) and two Sundance Film Festival awards. 

Today's Rune: Partnership.  Happy Saint Patrick's Day, y'all!  Met some really cool nuns today -- Sisters of Saint Mary of Namur.

3 comments:

the walking man said...

Cool Nuns? Obviously you had a public school education Erik.

So when is the film coming to IFC?

Charles Gramlich said...

I actually think I might like this movie. It sounds interesting to me, although not my usual fare.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I think it was my favorite movie of the year.