Saturday, July 01, 2006



Where I'm Calling From

Since this Raymond Carver story will be discussed in one of my classes soon, I wanted to point out some of my favorite parts. It's an endearing story, tragi-comic, the best kind.

The narrator is trying to get some respite from his complicated life, sober up some at Frank Martin's clinic. He hangs out with fellow alcoholics, hears stories, makes observations, and finally begins dealing with his own "situation."

Early on, there's a "big fat guy" dubbed Tiny who has a spell at one point, and the narrator laconically notes: "We'd all done things just as bad and crazy, so, sure, that's why we laughed."

Later the narrator hears J.P.'s life story, how he fell in love with Roxy the chimney sweeper. How he went gaga over her, in fact. "It was something out of his hands. Nothing else in the world counted for anything. He knew he'd met somebody who could set his legs atremble. He could fell her kiss still burning on his lips, etc." How can a reader not love the "etc."?

J.P. later became an alcoholic. One of the best Carver lines ever is embedded in the middle of this sentence: "But for some reason -- who knows why we do what we do? -- his drinking picks up."

J.P. goes on the describe his deteriorating relationship with Roxy, who tells her father and brother, ardent enemies of J.P., "it was her problem. She got herself into it, and she'd solve it." In fact, she soon found a boyfriend, which befuddles J.P. even as he relates the story: after all, by then they had a house and kids and were married, how could she find the time or energy to do such a thing? The narrator's response: "I look at him and I'm surprised. He's a grown man. 'If you want to do that,' I say, 'you find the time. You make the time.'"

Next, the story drops back in time to the narrator's arrival, when his girlfriend leaves him off at the drying out clinic: "It's late afternoon. It's raining. I go from the door to the window. I move the curtain and watch her drive away. She's in my car. She's drunk. But I'm drunk, too, and there's nothing I can do." Such economy of words, but what more do we really need to know at this point?

After another interlude with the recovery boys, Carver moves on to the real story. This is the second time the narrator's been let off to dry out here. First time he was brought by his wife. Frank Martin, the guy who runs the clinic, assured the narrator at the time they could help him. Here's another of Carver's best lines: "But I didn't know if they could help me or not. Part of me wanted help. But there was another part."

There's a quick description of how the narrator ended up with his girlfriend after his wife asked him to leave. As an Italian scientist quips about a growing monster in Twenty Million Miles to Earth (1957): "Horrible, but fascinating." It's really funny -- the girlfriend, her "mouthy teenaged son," the "not cheery" Pap smear right before Christmas, and more. He recalls leaving the awful son behind and driving to the clinic with her, guzzling champagne along the way. He wonders if she's okay, if the test results are true, but feels paralyzed to act: "But she hasn't called me, and I haven't called her. . ." Here's another one of my favorite Carver riffs: "But she has my car, and I have things at her house; I know we'll be seeing each other again." This is soon followed by the narrator's wish to talk to his wife, even though they've been fighting like maniacs: "But I wanted to talk to her now. Something had to be done about my stuff. I still had things at her house, too."

This sets up the rest of the story nicely, and the ending, which is near perfect. I just love this story! The Sopranos employs the same mix of dark humor and human complexity with similar results. Who could forget Christopher's intervention? Or any of his various bouts with addiction amid various complications with girlfriends or a wife? Repeat damage, endlessly repeated. Horrible, but fascinating. And there but for the Grace of God goes any of us.

This month, we will be able to take a closer glimpse into Raymond Carver as writer, person and spouse via Maryann Burk Carver's What It Used To Be Like: A Portrait of My Marriage to Raymond Carver. We already have a sense that Raymond loved her deeply and forever, even though they couldn't stay together and he ended up marrying Tess Gallaher. One can really see Maryann's charm and charisma in a documentary included with the Criterion Collection of Short Cuts (2004; 1993), the Robert Altman adaptation of Carver short stories, and despite Tess Gallaher's transparent attempts to control the narrative. It's now Maryann's turn in full. More will be revealed, and very soon.


Ciao!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the post. Can't wait for MaryAnn's book.

Anonymous said...

I know all about seduction for any astrological sign that I need to know! And I certainly don't need a "spell" (how stupid can you get -- I won't name the totally self-absorbed writer who continues to regale us with tales of her woe) to do it! Erik, I'm waiting! Angela

ZZZZZZZ said...

Oh I have that book! isn't it great! I love Carver

Anonymous said...

Hey Erik,
Look forward to the new book; big Carver fan here! Didn't we get a foretaste of that relationship through the story "Intimacy?" That whole book is wonderful! --R

Anonymous said...

The spell person I mean is that awful Michelle. I thought I might clarify. Still waiting, Angela

Anonymous said...

Angela,
I take it that you saw my deleted comment before it was deleted. This comment is written not to be mean, but only to be helpful, ok? In general, men prefer to do the chasing, Sagittarius men, especially. Being somewhat subtle and mysterious, as well as an intellectual challenge will get you much further. Your demands to be noticed aren't very appealing; they seem to come from someone young and spoiled to boot. Have you ever read any of the books Erik mentions in his posts? Or seen any of the movies, etc.? He gives you tons of information about himself; you just need to know what to do with it. Stomping your feet won't get you too far; it's a complete turn-off. A really good book to read on this sort of thing is: He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys, by Greg Behrendt. Check it out. Lots of good advice about guys from the guy's perspective! And Good luck! Cheers, Robin

Anonymous said...

Hey Robin,

Thanks for the help. You seem very nice. It's that Michelle I can't stand and how Erik seems to fawn all over her narcisstic website. I'll definitely try the wait and see approach with Mr. Cute Blogger!

Erik Donald France said...

Oh Lord -- thanks all for the comments!

And thanks specifically to Robin for your comments! I loved them! What more can I say? You're right about men, especially of the Sag. variety. ;) Angela: As for Michellespells, if you're that gorgeous and witty, you can be as narcissistic as you want. HaHa!

Cheri said...

Oooh that's a book I've been waiting for!

I had no idea who Raymond Carver was until my first day in Michelle's class. Picking her when scheduling my classes was probably the best turn of fate that has ever happened to me.

I miss you!