Saturday, January 20, 2007

Amsterdam: Janis at the Melkweg



When Janis Joplin died in 1970 at age twenty-seven (that'll be thirty-seven years ago in October), Nixon had expanded the Vietnam War into Cambodia, protesting (and bystanding) students had been gunned down at Kent State (Ohio) and Jackson State (Mississippi), while -- more peacefully -- the Melkweg was set to open as an art and performance venue in Amsterdam.

Today, as G.W. Bush escalates American troop strength in Iraq, another chopper goes down with all thirteen dead on board, even as the Bush team mulls over expanding the war into Iran by air, naval, and special forces attack -- the Melkweg still peacefully stands and operates in Amsterdam.



The Melkweg provided an ideal setting to see Janis (1974) on a big screen. The audience was wild, as rowdy and enthralled as if it was an actual Janis Joplin concert.

I was staying in Amsterdam at a hostel and, briefly, on the streets, when I saw a poster for the Janis film. Crossing several little bridges over criss-crossing canals, I made it in time to check out the various delivery systems for decriminalized (or legalized -- it wasn't clear and didn't matter at the time) pot and hashish. Even at the Hard Rock Cafe, where Pink Floyd's Live at Pompeii was playing, they served up Space Cake to enhance the show. The Melkweg, a converted Dairy, offered Space Yogurt and Space Balls, baked things loaded up with God knows what. Given that this was Amsterdam, the counterculture carried weight, and who was I not to try things out locally? Hence I was a little spacey and glazey for the Janis experience.

Besides people cheering and singing and having a great good time, there was a drunken stoned American sailor with large mustachios (a la the Village People) who kept screaming at the top of his hoarse lungs, sounding vaguely retarded but not caring in the least: I LOVE YOU JANIS! I LOVE YOU JANIS! BALL AND CHAIN! BALL AND CHAIN!

I loved it -- no better way to see a documentary film, surely. Afterwards, I threaded a way back to my $3 per night hostel above the Texas Lone Star Saloon. You get, as they say, what you pay for. But that's surely for another post.

Rune: Wholeness.

Tot ziens -- Tot kijk -- Tot straks -- Dag -- Hoi -- Vaarwel -- Aju -- Doei -- De ballen!

3 comments:

Johnny Yen said...

My father is a huge Janis Joplin fan (he'll be 70 this year). He and I always watched Monterey Pop whenever it was on television-- Joplin, Hendrix, Otis Redding-- incredible performances.

A couple of years ago for his birthday, I bought him the DVD of Monterey Pop and he called, crying, to thank me for it.

Thanks for the Hunter S. Thompson hit! Sure wish he were around for this. He'd be having a field day.

Danny Tagalog said...

Amsterdam - how I wish I had ocasional access to this wondeful city!

A post filled with good giants - Hunter, Janis - ... haven't ever seen the movie - or even bought a Janis CD but will remedy this forthwith.

More about the dilapidated hotel in a future post please!

JR's Thumbprints said...

Sounds like my kind of concert, recipes and all.