Monday, January 22, 2007

Look Out Honey 'Cause I'm Using Technology





"Stay on the bomb run, boys! I'm gonna get them doors open if it harelips ever'body on Bear Creek!"

-- Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964). Stanley Kubrick with Peter George and Terry Southern, based on George's 1958 novel Red Alert.




"When not close enough to be killed, the atomic bomb is one of the most beautiful sights in the world."

-- The Atomic Cafe (1982) by Jayne Loader, Kevin Rafferty and Pierce Rafferty.


Duck -- and cover.




Sing a song of hope.


3 comments:

Bird on a Wire said...

Dr. Strangelove--I could watch this movie over and over. My favorite part is the opening where the airplanes engage in a sort of love scene.

And Peter Sellers is incredible. No other movie is so effective at being simultaneously horrifying and hilarious.

Pythia3 said...

Oh, I almost forgot about the duck and cover! Yeah, that would have helped!
Regarding beauty and the bomb . . . well, that which does not kill us is beautiful from afar . . . like a super nova at its brightest.
Goodnight.

Johnny Yen said...

"Gentlemen-- you can't fight in here! This is the War Room."

I almost watched Dr. Strangelove with my 12-year-old son this weekend-- I know he'll love it-- he's very political, and knows all about the Cold War. I opted for "The Producers," but Dr. Strangelove will be next.

A few months ago, I Netflixed "Atomic Cafe," which I hadn't seen since college (mid eighties). My son enjoyed that one, too. He particularly laughed at the "duck and cover" parts, and the idea of a survivable nuclear war. Apparently, at 12, he's smarter than the entire Reagan Administration, which took the survivability of a nuclear war as policy.