Wednesday, January 24, 2007

We Will Fall



On the day I came to Metro Detroit to find a place to live, seven tornadoes ripped through wherever I was looking.

Within three years I finished one Ph.D. and one marriage. Along the way, picked up a fitting soundtrack to keep juiced and moving forward furiously -- or at least crawling from the wreckage, alive and ready for more.

We Will Fall: The Iggy Pop Tribute (1997) is both loving and primal, highly recommended for Iggy Pop fans of all stripes and sizes -- even the little ones. Guaranteed to blow away winter torpor.

Do try this at home. . . . . Mostly high-voltage, with some playfully quiet gems to even things out nicely. Way cool. Like living on the edge of Detroit, it's one wild ride.




Tracks and artists on the version playing on my laptop:

1. 1969 - Joey Ramone
2. Search And Destroy - Red Hot Chili Peppers
3. Real Wild Child - Joan Jett And The Blackhearts
4. Ordinary Bummer - Adolph's Dog (i.e., Debbie Harry and Blondie)
5. I Got A Right - Misfits
6. Gimme Danger - Monster Magnet
7. Lust For Life - NY Loose (The New York Loose)
8. Loose - Pansy Division
9. The Passenger - Lunachicks
10. 1970 - Superdrag
11. I'm Sick Of You - Nada Surf
12. Funtime - Blanks 77
13. I Got Nothing - D-Generation
14. Down On The Street/Little Doll - Jayne County
15. Cold Metal - Sugar Ray
16. Sell Your Love - Extra Fancy
17. Shake Appeal - 7 Year Bitch
18. Sister Midnight - Bush Tetras
19. TV Eye - Holy Bulls
20. We Will Fall - Lenny Kaye




Today's Rune: Journey.

Calling Sister Midnight, Ciao!

7 comments:

Bird on a Wire said...

I have GOT to get that CD.

Johnny Yen said...

Those are some kickass people doing some kickass songs. Just to hear Joey Ramone covering 1969. I can't believe I missed this one. Thanks for the recommendation!

I've seen Iggy twice, both in 1988. The first time was at the Metro, a very small venue, and the second time that summer, with the Dickies and Ramones.

The Stooges reunion album is due any day now. As my late friend Mark said, "God, please don't let it suck..."

Laura said...

God, I would have taken the 7 tornadoes ripping through Metro Detroit the day I came to find a place to live a really bad omen. I'm suprised you stayed after that.

Charles Gramlich said...

I wish I would have discovered Iggy Pop when I was younger. As it is I didn't get to know his music until I was already in my 30s.

Danny Tagalog said...

That's worth listening to - but I worry about the Chili Peppers doing S and D. And English band EMF did it in the early 90s and it was awful - and though the Chili's have good taste, I've never been convinced by them....

Are they worth re-pursuing?

JR's Thumbprints said...

The Igster's cool. But it's the Ramones that I experienced in a Detroit bar many years ago.

Erik Donald France said...

Thanks, y'all, for the comments. Especially when it's colder than FIVE HELLS in Detroit these days.

I'm hoping the new Stooges album is a hot one. They seem to be aiming for the old analog sound, rough and stripped down. A ton of songs to choose from, apparently.

Laura, I can top that omen: how about getting married the first day of Chernobyl and flying to Europe for a radioactive honeymoon (not knowing until we landed in England)? Wicked!

I don't know much about the Chili Peppers, in all truth. But this cover's a decent one.

Cheers to all, Ramones a-hoy!