Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Day the Earth Stood Still


















In the update of Robert Wise's 1951 version, Scott Derrickson's 2008 take on The Day the Earth Stood Still mutates the story from Cold War parable to "Let's get real about Ecology," and stars Keanu Reeves (as Klaatu), Jon Hamm (Of Mad Men) and laser-eyed Jennifer Connelly, with John Cleese as an added bonus.

The original story was no doubt inspired by frustration with collective human short-sightedness, and by an acknowledgement of human limitations. The buck stops here.



















Uber-cool Jennifer Connelly ought to get a nice boost out of this. Earlier this summer, I chanced upon a public access channel featuring the following video clip with a youthful Ms. Connelly that someone looped over and over for about twenty minutes . . . Mesmerizing after a long drive on the surface of the Earth:



Today's Rune: Journey.

5 comments:

Sidney said...

Klaatu barada nikto!

the walking man said...

If the Earth stood still for only a moment about 3/4 of her problems would be solved.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the read Eric. Saw the origiginal movie. Gort was the star of the show. MW

Anonymous said...

I remember it well with Michael Rennie. Your sister memorized Klaatu barada nikto just in case.....

Lana Gramlich said...

I'd really like to believe that this movie will be good. I'd REALLY like to believe that. Unfortunately I've seen so few "good" movies in the past 10 years that I'm not getting my hopes up. I bet this might be cool in IMAX, though.