Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)











Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) is easily one of my favorite Sly and the Family Stone tracks -- totally love it and always have.  First came out in late 1969 as a single.  Genius, beginning like this:

Lookin' at the devil
Grinnin' at his gun
Fingers start shakin'
I begin to run
Bullets start chasin'
I begin to stop
We begin to wrassle'
I was on the top . . .

It's existential on a personal level, and it's epochal, catching the nightmarishly weird American "Nixonland" moment . . . and it's just damned cool . . . Makes a nice iTunes download, no question -- I can listen to it six times in a row easily.



Today's Rune: Partnership. I also dig their version of "Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)," among several other tracks. How about you?

Today's Rune: Partnership.  

6 comments:

the walking man said...

Sly was a freak show long before Rick James. Loved it though, Sex Machine 12 minutes of pure funk.

Charles Gramlich said...

This basically defines funky for me.

Lana Gramlich said...

Yes. Funky. And I LOVES me some funk!

jodi said...

Erik, Sly is FLY!

Luma Rosa said...

Eita, lele!

First time that I hear! It does not kill me! Good for coming back to the sound of old times! People were happy and not wise person! (laughs)

Beijus,

Erik Donald France said...

Hey y'all, thanks for the comments!
WM, I can see how Prince picked up a little from them, too. Charles, Lana, Jodi, Funky and Fly, indeed. Luma, right on (I think ;)