Saturday, June 12, 2010

Africa












Another continent most of us not from the continent (or hemisphere) probably know little about.  I've made some effort, inspired by an African Studies Class, but still emphatically feel as if I understand almost nothing about African complexities -- some that seem to shift and some that seem to endure. I do know how "the West" tends to cover Africa in movies, shows and via the news: as a nightmare of epic proportions. Or as an area of endangered wildlife and starving, fighting people.  Jungles and deserts, mountains and Veld.  What is the human population of Africa in reality? More than one billion as of 2010.

Given the weird skew on things and even if you already live somewhere on the continent, where (else) might you want to visit, explore or live in Africa?   I've got some ideas for myself, but am more curious about ideas from anyone reading this.

Today's Rune: Signals.

1 comment:

Johnny Rojo said...

I've long found Africa fascinating since writing a paper on the war in Angola in 1983-- a war that was nearly a decade old when I wrote the paper, and would continue long after I graduated-- until the 2002 death of Jonas Savimbi. Africa has huge amounts of riches underneath, but they are finding, like the US did in Iraq, that all the mineral wealth beneath your feet means nothing if you don't have political stability and an infrastructure above-ground.