Saturday, December 25, 2010

David Byrne: True Stories



















David Byrne's True Stories (1986), set in and around "Virgil," Texas in and around its 150th anniversary, includes a lot of observations about the Lone Star zone, the USA and modern life that persist in aptness and vibe. It is John Goodman's first movie role and you can see why he'd be utilized by the Coen Brothers. True Stories seems like a base camp for the Coens, David Lynch's Twin Peaks and also Northern Exposure. You might also catch glimpses in John Waters films and cable series like Weeds.

If anyone reading this has seen any of these, I'm interested in your take.  What do you think?

Today's Rune: Defense.

5 comments:

nunya said...

Merry Christmas Erik :)

Charles Gramlich said...

Twin peaks is the only one of these I ever watched.

nunya said...

I am not a Cohen Brothers fan. I like Fargo, but most of their stuff I dislike intensely.

Adorably Dead said...

I'm not sure I've heard of this. Although it vaguely rings a bell. I know I've heard of a series called Weird Stories or something like that...maybe it's the same thing and I'm getting confused. *shrugs*

Erik Donald France said...

Thanks y'all for the comments -- much appreciated!