Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Pier Paolo Pasolini's 'The Canterbury Tales' (1972)

Pier Paolo Pasolini's 1972 cinematic sampling of Geoffrey Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales (1387-1400) forms the second part of Pasolini's "Trilogy of Life." You're not likely to see in many other 20th century directors anything quite like the way Pasolini mixes earthy and mystical, sacred and profane. 
Warning: if nudity offends you, if a scabrous image of the Gates of Hell might offend you, if the blending (true to Chaucer's original) of Catholicism and pre-Christian elements (such as Proserpina and Pluto) might blow your mind, you might consider seeing this in some kind of altered state, or not at all. Given that I'm open-minded about such visionary approaches, I know that many are more prudish in their preferences, so be fairly cautioned. 
I first saw Pasolini's version of The Canterbury Tales when I was in college (one of the subversive dangers of a liberal arts education is consciousness raising), and man, it really did have quite an impact. Still does -- wild stuff. 

Today's Rune: Flow. 

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

yes indeed, the dangers of a liberal arts education. I have one of those too. I remember my mom telling me that an education like that makes one too proud to bend your head to the lord.