Monday, November 27, 2006

Jimi Hendrix: Machine Gun





















If he was still alive, Jim Hendrix (Seattle, Washington, 11/27/1942-9/18/1970, London, England) would be 64 today. Strange.

The left-handed Hendrix released only four albums during his lifetime, and those over a three year machine gun burst of creation.

More than five hundred collections of various recordings and tidbits have been released posthumously.

I love everything I've heard of the finished compositions, and a lot of the other releases, too. In any case, these are the four official albums, which I first heard in the order they were released:

Are You Experienced? (1967)
Axis: Bold as Love (1967)
Electric Ladyland (1968)
Band of Gypsys (1970)

"Voodoo Chile," "Machine Gun," and "Red House" are three of my favorites. How about you?

Today's Rune: Protection.

Viva Jimi Hendrix!

5 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

I once had a Jimi Hendrix double album. It was an import from Japan. I couldn't read the songs, but I sure knew them when I heard them. Left handers rule!

Anonymous said...

I have the Hendrix box set, and there is some brilliant stuff within it. Hendrix was a true rocker and a bona fide genius.

Laura said...

Uncle Kenny had the Experience album, I used to go over grandma's and go upstairs and play it on the Hi-Fi Stereo he had up there. Hendrix was genius with the guitar.

Anonymous said...

I went to the rock and roll hall of fame with joey earlier this year and they had a lot of Jimi Hendrix's clothes!!!! He was one snazzy dresser! hehe

Anonymous said...

Are You Experienced? came out my freshman year at Michigan State. It retains its power to this day and there is no equal yet to J.H. I only regret I never saw him live. You can be that if he was 64, he'd still be rockin'.