Sunday, November 26, 2006

Tina Turner: River Deep, Mountain High





















Happy Birthday, Tina Turner!

Anna Mae Bullock (b. Brownsville, Tennessee, 11/26/1939) hooked up with Ike Turner and took off from there as Tina Turner. What's Love Got to Do with It (1993) covers the basics.

I love Tina Turner -- especially her earlier work, either with harsh husband Ike or solo, hanging out with Mick Jagger and David Bowie. She's got James Brown energies whirling through The Big T.N.T. Show (1966). It's amazing to watch.

Songs like "Nutbush City Limits" (1973) still carry raw power, more so than her well-polished albums of recent years. It's worth poking around to see the video clips from the 1960s and 1970s to see her in fully wild form.

There's no else one quite like Tina Turner, the Buddhist Queen of Rock and Roll.

5 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

I agree, Tina's old stuff rocks. As for "Private Dancer," it's a snooze fest.

Anonymous said...

I saw Ike and Tina live at Crisler Arena in 1970. "Rollin' on a rivah." Explosive.

Pythia3 said...

Tina rocks . . . and those legs! I do love the older stuff much better. I grew up dancing to Proud Mary at all of my cousins' weddings. That (Proud Mary) and Wipe Out were the only two fast songs that bands could play back in the early 70's.

Laura said...

I wish I had Tina Turner's legs!!!

Anonymous said...

Tina is cool. She has some sexy legs for her age! Must be all that dancing! haha