Monday, December 13, 2010

Werner Herzog: My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done




















Luckily, while performing jury duty I didn't have to deal with anything quite so bizarre as the events that "transgress" in Herzog's My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done. This film is offbeat enough to wander if a question mark should be included in the title. It appears that sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't, depending on where and how you look.

The director, producer and primary actors were enough to get me to watch it asap, if not stat. However, it is a pretty low-key film when all is said and done. I enjoyed it -- of course -- particularly its meandering imagery and special Herzog touches (such as a little person standing on the stump of a gargantuan Redwood tree, a basketball set in the branches of a small tree with San Diego's skyline across a highway in the backdrop, and an unruly ostrich farm. Plus the music: weird.)

The film works in such a way that several scenes stick in memory far more sneakily than a first watch might suggest. Then again, this is often true of Herzog's work.

Besides Werner Herzog as director and co-writer (with Herbert Golder), My Son was produced by David Lynch; actors include a Grade A list fresh from the darkness on the edge of town: Michael Shannon (pictured above), Grace Zabriskie (pictured above), Chloë Sevigny (pictured above), Willem Dafoe, Michael Peña, Brad Dourif, Irma P. Hall and Udo Kier.

Today's Rune: Movement.

4 comments:

Bob Ignizio said...

I liked this one as well. It's definitely lesser Herzog, but that's still more interesting than 90% of what comes out these days.

Adorably Dead said...

I love little known films. And for a moment I totally thought Chloe was the chick that played Paris from the Gilmore Girls...now I'm all dissapointed.

Charles Gramlich said...

As you might guess, I haven't seen it.

Erik Donald France said...

Hey, thanks all for the comments! Bob, will check the Cleveland movie blog some more. AD, which reminds me of Weeds... and Bad Santa, for that matter.